Cuvilly’s Head to Waquoit Bay Reserve

Another amazing field trip for  the 7th grade students, who recently went to the Waquoit Bay Reserve. We walked along the beaches and learned about tides. The students learned how to tell if the tide is high or low by looking at the rack line, which is a line of seaweed along the beach. Now with this valuable information, the 7th graders know where to put their beach chair when they are at the beach so it doesn’t get washed away by the sea! The students also went across a marsh and saw what instruments the scientists use to find temperature, barometer, and wind speed.

A big problem at the beach is erosion. Erosion is caused when high tide comes up against a hill causing it to start the wear away and fall. The students also saw a pond that went from freshwater to salt water. We measured how much salt was in the water by using a special instrument called a salt meter. The students are very thankful to Mrs. Pratt who made this learning experience happen and also to those chaperons who came to help them have a great time on this field trip. The 7th grade student had lots of fun learning about this topic even though it was a cold and windy day! We will use this information to help ourselves in their own lives everyday.