Point | Counterpoint | SNOWDAYS

point-counterpoint graphic header

Enough with the Snow Days!

Amy Ferreira ’16

Sick of the snow? Tired of shoveling? I bet most of us feel the same way. Boston has had over 100 inches of snow this winter, and the snow just keeps on falling. Of course, along with the snow, there have been numerous snow days here at the Academy, but is enough, enough? Snow days can be relaxing and enjoyable every now and then, but we’ve had so many snow days recently that they have lost their novelty. Having numerous days off from school can be ideal, but too many snow days are overall unfavorable for students.

For many students, snow days are boring and unproductive. It’s too dangerous to travel on the roads, so you’re basically stranded at home the entire day. While you’re sitting on the couch watching TV, you could be surrounded by your NDA friends while doing something productive, such as learning. Besides, how long can one spend drinking hot chocolate, watching Netflix, or reading gossip magazines?

On the other hand, many students can attest that having a snow day doesn’t actually mean having a “day off.” Some teachers deluge the portal with online videos and assignments which students would have been doing in class that day anyways. Working on assignments in class with a teacher and peers can be much more pleasant than learning through a barren computer screen or working alone at home. Additionally, with AP exams just around the corner, students can’t afford to miss so many days of class. Not all teachers take a “flipped classroom” approach, and odds are you’ll be teaching the material to yourself.

Undoubtedly, the safety of students and faculty is our top priority. The weather is out of our control, and snow days are often necessary. However, all of these snow days have been a bit excessive and are even encroaching on our precious days off. Hopefully Mother Nature will give us a break so that we can finish off the school year in its entirety. Bring on spring!

Snow Days are Essential

Allison Ferreira ’16

What’s on next week’s weather forecast? Of course, more snow! I am sure most of us have had it with all the snow, back-breaking shoveling, and below zero temperatures. However, in the midst of all this chaos, it is always nice to have the day off from school to regroup and rejuvenate. I do not think that having an excessive amount of snow days is a good thing, but I do appreciate the time off that we have been given. Snow days are necessary for students’ own safety, and they allow us to catch up on work and de-stress.

The reason we have snow days is to protect students’ own safety. Many juniors and seniors, who are new drivers, drive themselves to school. Here at NDA, we come from many different towns. Some of us drive over an hour to get to school. Additionally, most of us inexperienced drivers have pre-owned cars that do not have four-wheel drive. Let’s face it, when it snows, driving conditions can be extremely difficult. The roads are slippery and the windshield gets covered in snow. Many towns, particularly the south shore, have been hit incredibly hard this winter. They have either run out of sand for the roads, or do not have the equipment to clear the snow. It simply is not safe for anyone to leave the house and drive to school in these conditions.

Snow days are also beneficial because they allow students to catch up on necessary work. I speak for most of us at NDA when I say that a snow day is simply not a “day off from school.” For many classes, we learn the day’s lesson at home. Many teachers post videos on iPresent for us to learn because we have so much material to cover and so little time. Additionally, most teachers assign homework and reading. Also, AP classes entail a lot of independent work for students, and the snow days provide time for us to read and study for upcoming tests. Needless to say, we are still working and learning even when we are not in the classroom.

Lastly, snow days provide time for students and faculty to regroup and revitalize. There is nothing better than sleeping in on a school day. Many of us at NDA run on very little sleep, and we are so busy with our academics, extra-curriculars, and sports. I believe that everyone deserves a little time for themselves to relax and refresh their body and mind. Whether you build a snowman, read a book, take a walk, or shovel the driveway, it is a great way to relieve stress. Essentially, snow days are the well-deserved break that we all need. Snow days are vital for students’ safety and well-being, and I am grateful that NDA has made conscientious decisions for us all this winter. Continue to stay safe and warm everyone!