Advice to Freshmen from a Senior

I just started my senior year. And honestly, I don’t know how I feel. I don’t know how I should feel. Senior year of high school is something that everyone thinks about growing up. There’s an endless selection of teen movies that each have their own take on senior year. So far, I’ve concluded that they’re literally all wrong. The truth is, this is pretty mundane. Half of me feels like this is just another year and the other half of me keeps screaming THIS IS IT!!!

I think since pretty much the first day of freshman year, everyone tells you to enjoy your four years. That they go by faster than you think they will. And I never believed it – but here we are. Aside from all that mushy gushy enjoy-every-moment stuff, I want to tell you the truth about what I wish I knew when I was a freshman. Because no one told me the truth back then – and I could’ve used it. If you’re a cuvilly, freshman, or even a sophomore, just hear me out on this. Maybe one day you’ll agree with me.

1. Let it go.

Whatever the “it” that just came to your mind is – it’s time to put your energy somewhere else.

2. The days may feel long, but the years are short.

Even on the days that feel never-ending, remember that it’ll be Friday soon. And then Monday. And then Friday again. And before you know it, time passed you by before you could even realize it.

3. Don’t rush it.

As much as you are thinking about the future and setting goals for yourself, make sure you are focusing on where you are now. Because I promise you, one day you will miss where you are.

4. Know your why.

With whatever you’re focusing on right now, or with the thing that’s stressing you out, remember why you started. It’s important to remember why you’re doing it for you before you get consumed with why you’re doing it for others.

5. Confidence comes with experience.

It does. Don’t get discouraged with yourself for being new to something.

6. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

If you think it falls under “small stuff” then it does. And it’s not worth it.

7. Go for it. Take advantage of every opportunity you get.

Life is too short to pass up an opportunity if you don’t have to. If you think you want it, do it.