The Medallion

Filed under Showcase, Videos

Romero Center Visit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Romero Center Visit

Mrs. Angela Kelly, who works in the front office at NDA and myself, Ms. Michelle Kelley, Director of Campus Ministry, had a productive and wonderful time with students Kaitlyn DuBry , Johanna Murphy, Ava Lee, KaitlynWalsh, and Kelly Peterson at the Romero Center.  If I can speak for the whole group, it was an eye opening experience to learn about Camden NJ, to meet people working in these wonderful organizations as they rebuild Camden, and to be present to all we encountered.  As it has been 3 years since NDA has gone and the program while solid before, has really kicked it up a notch.

We were non stop all day.  Often we left the Romero Center at 7 or 7:30am and did not return until 5 or 5:30pm.  One evening the students (yes the students!) made dinner, but every day we had common chores to do, including dishes and clean up.   Our hour long evening reflection helped us unpack our experience.  Student got journals they can take home and reflect upon, plus they wrote a letter to themselves that they will get 6 months from now.

The accompanying picture is of our group in front of Urban Promise Ministries, an organization that has dedicated itself to the community.  At this ministry we had a dirty but important job of cleaning up trash that neighbors had dumped onto the property of Urban Promise.  We did demo work, breaking down an old wooden fence; and cleaned up trash and broken glass.  Then we got the fun job of organizing the prom dresses that students can use for Prom or for the Beauty Pageant, which is really about teaching students public speaking skills, and building up confidence and self assurance.

View the attached slide show to live some of this inspirational moments we had with us.

• Romero Center Visit

Showcase

The Government Shutdown: It’s More Impactful Than You Think

• Romero Center Visit

News

Five New Congresswomen Making History

• Romero Center Visit

Fashion

The Golden Globe’s Top 5 Best Dressed Stars

• Romero Center Visit

Lifestyle

New Year’s Resolutions: How to Keep Them in 2019

• Romero Center Visit

Lifestyle

10 Things You Won’t Believe Are Turning 10 In 2019

• Showcase

Teacher Interview: Ms. Martin

• Arts & Entertainment

Top 10 Albums of 2018

• Creative Corner

Koffee with Kendall #3

• Romero Center Visit

Showcase

NFL Playoffs Update

• Romero Center Visit

Arts & Entertainment

2019 Golden Globes Recap

The student news site of Notre Dame Academy - Hingham
Romero Center Visit