Teacher Interview: Mr. Benson

Teacher Interview: Mr. Benson

What compelled you to study history and become a history teacher? 

I always found history interesting, I had fantastic teachers that inspired me to become who I am today and wanted to do the same.

What were you like in high school? 

Similar to who I am now personality wise – well now I’m more mature, but, goofy and dorky. I had poofy long hair… it was in style. I did theater all throughout high school, and I was super involved.

If you could have dinner with any person in history, dead or alive, who would it be? 

I would say, Alexander Hamilton and Lin-Manuel Miranda in the same room, then I would play the music (from Hamilton) and be like dude, your life is a musical.

Before NDA, you taught at a co-ed school, what is different about teaching all girls rather than boys and girls? 

Not as much as you think, teaching is teaching, but you don’t notice as much because students are students no matter where you go. 

What advice would you give to girls who want to become teachers? 

I would say, to think about the teachers that inspired them. But don’t be exactly like them, ask questions like, what made you think I want to become like them? And who have I had as a teacher that has inspired me? 

How do you incorporate living in historical Massachusetts into the classroom? 

Well, I like to bring in my experience of the freedom trail, I took my seventh graders to the freedom trail, and driving through Hingham, every other house has a historical marker.” 

What is your favorite event or time period in history to study? 

I love the American Revolution, it’s fascinating.

What is one thing that people probably don’t know about you? 

I have a black belt in karate that I got when I was 12.