New School Year, New Changes in the Library

Ms.+Warner

Ms. Warner

If you’ve visited the library this school year, you may have noticed some changes. I decided to talk with Ms. Warner to get the scoop on the library’s new look.

For some background information on you, why did you want to become a librarian? Did you have a favorite author growing up who inspired your love for books? What is your favorite book/genre?

“That’s a great question- I didn’t originally intend to become a librarian- instead, I was hoping to become an elementary school teacher!  When I was approaching graduation from college, I knew that I still wanted to work with students, but I knew that I did not want to be a classroom teacher.  Instead, at the suggestion of my father, I looked into becoming a school librarian.  When I saw that it combined working with students, my love of reading, and learning about and working with technology, I decided to pursue this career path.  I haven’t looked back since!

In terms of having a favorite author, I really didn’t have one growing up.  What DID inspire me was the fact that my mom would bring home books for me to read when I was younger, and she (and my dad) encouraged me to read as much as I could.  I still try to read as much as I can, and I am happy to say that I include Sarah Dessen, Laurie Halse Anderson, Alice Hoffman, Ann Rinaldi, and R.J. Palacio as my favorite authors.

As an adult, I try to read as much as I can, but my favorite genre is Historical Fiction.  I really like seeing how an author takes a real time period, event, person, or group of people from history and brings them to life in their own way.  The best book I’ve read so far is “Wonder” by R.J. Palacio- the message of that book is to try to be kind to others, despite their different outward appearance.”

Aside from the changes in regards to the books in the library, what sort of changes have you already brought and are hoping to bring to the library?

“I’ve really tried to keep the changes I’ve already made on a somewhat small scale.  For example, I’ve created some space in the library by slightly reducing the furniture that is in here.  I’ve also tried to use more technology in my lessons- for example, I have a SMART Board on wheels that I use regularly when classes come in to the library for instruction.

I’ve also tried to incorporate more displays into the library that relate to books, seasons, holidays- all things that happen during the normal cycle of the school year.  I’ve also created some new grade-level appropriate brochures that highlight new books and also books that are relatively unknown, to help encourage reading.  The Cuvilly Collection is growing by leaps and bounds, and it seems to be used on a regular basis.

One of the most obvious changes in the library is that there is a new face in the library.  After Mrs. Bologna retired at the end of last school year, I was appointed as Library Director.  Ms. Roberts ’07 was hired to step into the position I had last year.”

What happened to the books? Were they donated?

“The books that were weeded were mainly recycled- the majority of those books were either damaged beyond repair or very outdated (and had a lot of misinformation).  I undertook that project mainly to ensure that the collection we currently have is relevant and up-to-date.  We did donate some books that were either duplicate copies and/or still in relatively good condition.”

What books will we be getting? Where are they coming from- are they new or used?

“The kinds of books we will be getting include books that have updated information, books that better support the school’s curriculum, and also support our new Cuvilly Division academic needs.  I’ve also found titles to replace some of our classic titles- the physical books were damaged beyond repair, so I found some used titles that were in good condition.  Many of the books that were purchased support the academic curriculum are new, but I am able to get them at a significant discount.

I also go to public libraries- often they will have book sales that benefit the library somehow.  The books they have are still in good condition (and sometimes are even new and popular titles)- if I can get a book I’m looking for, for less money, I’m happy.”

When can we hope to see these new books in our library?

“I’m hoping that these new books will be coming into the library sometime between now and Christmas.  If not, then I’m hoping they will be coming in shortly after the New Year.”

What was your goal in doing this?

“My goal is as it has always been- to make sure that the NDA students have access to the most accurate, up-to-date information possible to help support their academics.  It’s also my goal in terms of Fiction to have a collection that combines classic literature with current titles that students and staff both will enjoy reading.”

Any additional information/comments?

“Thank you for interviewing me!  I hope that I was able to answer your questions completely- I’m always happy to talk to students about the library!”

Make sure to visit Ms. Warner and Ms. Roberts in the library to see the new books when they arrive. Who knows? You just might find your new favorite book!