The student news site of Notre Dame Academy - Hingham

The Medallion

Filed under Uncategorized

ALS Flag Football Tournament

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or more commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and in the spinal cord. This disease progressively affects a persons ability to walk, talk, feed themselves, and eventually breathe. Each year about 5,600 people are being diagnosed with this devastating disease. It has no cure, there are no treatments or medications. The patients that are diagnosed with ALS are typically given between 2-5 years to live and nothing to comfort them while they lose control over their body. Last spring, Hanover resident and founder of T&K Asphalt Company was diagnosed with this horrific disease. He has used his diagnosis to inspire and unify the people in his community to come together to fight this disease.

Over Thanksgiving break, some family and friends of the Gosnell family organized a flag football tournament in order to raise money and awareness for the ALS Knights foundation. It was a huge success. There were over 160 BC High and NDA students that came together to support this incredible cause. The fundraiser was located at the University Sports Complex in Hanover, here the whole event was able to take place. The day was filled with football games, raffles, music, and food. It allowed for people of all ages to come together and be a part of something bigger than themselves.  There were seven NDA teams that had participated in the tournament, playing in the “powder puff” league where the Pink Team took home the championship. This fundraiser hopes to continued for years to come, it was filled with many memories and even more to come.

Kevin Gosnell founded two organizations, ALS Knights and ALS One.  The goal of ALS Knights is to raise awareness for this horrific disease and provide care for patients that would otherwise not be able to afford it.  ALS One has the ultimate goal of identifying a treatment for ALS.  To become an ALS knight and support this incredible cause please visit www.alsknights.org.

• Uncategorized

This Is Who I Wanna Be

• ALS Flag Football Tournament

Uncategorized

The 2017 Lenten Campaign

• Uncategorized

Spring/Summer 2017

• ALS Flag Football Tournament

Uncategorized

Spirit Week

• ALS Flag Football Tournament

Uncategorized

Lady Gaga Lights Up the Super Bowl LI Halftime Show

• ALS Flag Football Tournament

Uncategorized

Patriots vs. Falcons in Super Bowl LI

• ALS Flag Football Tournament

Uncategorized

Duolingo Put to the Test: Month Two Update

• ALS Flag Football Tournament

Uncategorized

Honors Environmental Science Collaborates with St. John’s Prep

• ALS Flag Football Tournament

Uncategorized

Patriots Play Texans in AFC Playoffs

• ALS Flag Football Tournament

Uncategorized

Stop The Stress

ALS Flag Football Tournament