Campus Ministry News

‘Tis the Season!nativty scene

Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the holiday season – now in full swing. Christmas songs are playing on the radio, and the holiday commercials are already getting old. In this time of hectic rushing, we often forget the true meaning of Christmas. The Campus Ministry department at NDA intends to reel us back into considering actual reason for the season.

There are several Christmas themed events and projects that Campus Ministry organizes. The biggest event this year is the Christmas Project. This project, run by Ms. Cunningham and Sister Mary Janice, donates Christmas gifts, bought by NDA students, faculty, and staff, to several organizations in Massachusetts. The presents are donated to Codman Square, Carolina Hill, and the Notre Dame Education Center. Codman Square provides health care and basic needs to impoverished families in Dorchester. Carolina Hill is a homeless shelter for mothers and children that provides shelter, food and job search assistance. The NDEC is a center run by The Sisters of Notre Dame that provides resources for inner-city families and youth, such as immigration assistance, and aid in searching for jobs. NDA commits to 600 gifts for these charities. Gift tags will be distributed in homeroom later this month, make sure to pick up a tag and help contribute to Campus Ministry’s mission.

Campus Ministry will also be organizing “Advent Prayer Time.” This event will take place in the chapel and will include reflective music, candles, and quiet prayer. You will also be able to see the nativity scene, which will be set up in the chapel, and the Advent Wreath. A brand new element to this holiday season from Campus Ministry is the Advent Prayer Book. This booklet contains a prayer for each day of Advent, collected by the Campus Ministry Coordinators, and will be available on the portal later this month.

Ms. Kelley, Director of our Campus Ministry efforts, puts the idea of the holiday season into perspective: “ Campus Ministry provides an opportunity for people to slow down and quiet themselves to reflect on the reason for the season.”